Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What to do on a weekend

What a weekend it was! I was wondering what I'd do this past weekend when it started early for me on Thursday, and now, looking back, it was pretty interesting. I attended a lecture by Dr. Michael Eric Dyson at Valencia Community College, had dinner at Hue in Thornton Park, went browsing through antique and exotic stores and saw Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'....

Michael Eric Dyson Lecture
Dr. Michael Eric Dyson
Dr. Dyson is an accomplished academic, author, speaker and radio host who spoke on Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy at Valencia College. His books include April 4, 1968 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Death and How it Changed AmericaHoller if You Hear Me, Is Bill Cosby Right? and I May Not Get There With You: The True Martin Luther King Jr. He is such a dynamic speaker and would occasionally slip into the preacher's shoes or break into song or do a bit of stand up comedy. One thing he said that stayed with me was how we as humans, project our own limitations unto a limitless God....Very deep, and a statement I happen to agree with.

Dinner at Hue
I've been known to walk into a restaurant on a whim and try whatever epicurean delights they might proffer a curious gourmand, so Hue shows up at a street corner while I'm in the 'restaurant district' of the Thornton Park area and I find myself in the deep seats of its dining room. Their presentation was beautiful - the calamari came with pepperoncini, jalapenos, banana peppers, peppadews and chilli garlic mayo (awesome!) but could have been a tad bit more crispy, but it was still delicious. The heirloom tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella was fantastic and the presentation was simple and very elegant. The tomatoes were hollowed out and filled with the cheese and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I love my life!

A Midsummer Night's Dream
I saw a performance of William Shakespeare's romantic comedy A Midsummer Night's Dream by the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre which was quite different. I did not expect a contemporary interpretation and it took a while for me to adjust to hearing Shakespeare in an American accent and in rather contemporary attire.... And Pink Floyd and Lady Gaga? Now, c'mon people! It threw me for a loop for a bit, but I must say it was a very entertaining performance; especially the second act - I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. A Midsummer Night's Dream plays January 26 - March 19, 2011 at the John & Rita Lowndes Shakespeare Theatre, 812 E. Rollins St., Orlando, FL 32803, www.orlandoshakes.org.

Unique Finds
I love discovering curios and nifty stuff. I went browsing through some exotic stores and antique shops and made some rather interesting discoveries. My favorite was Washburn Imports. I found these very unique items that I'd love to have. 
Dining table
Occasional table
Armoire

Lamp

Log Lamp
 It also turns out that this place doubles as a wine bar and beer garden after hours, featuring boutique wines and craft beers! Now, whodathunkit!! It's called The Imperial Wine Bar and Beer Garden.... Anyone want to meet up there Friday evening? Washburn Imports/The Imperial WIne Bar and Beer Garden is at 1800 N. Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL 32804, www.washburnimports.com.

The Imperial Wine Bar & Beer Garden

And....I was spared by an enormous alligator with incredibly menacing jaws in a nearby store!


Where will next weekend find me? Stay tuned for more. Have a fabulous week whatever you do, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment