Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Smile - 40 Things I've Learnt in 40 years

Joy and pain are two feelings things that are understood just about anywhere in the world. A subset of joy is the smile - a simple facial expression that shows happiness, pleasure or amusement.

After traveling to more than twenty countries in four continents, I can confidently say that barring some cultural nuances, a smile is generally internationally understood and acknowledged. Smile, and, indeed, the world smiles with you.

A song that puts both a smile and a tear on my face is Smile, a standard that was originally recorded for Charlie Chaplin:


Smile though your heart is aching 
Smile even though it's breaking 
When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by 
If you smile through your fear and sorrow 
Smile and maybe tomorrow 
You'll see the sun come shining through for you...



I have seen how people are positively affected by a simple smile. There've been times I have flashed a smile to a surly waiter or receptionist and gotten better service. A smile announces that you bring good energy and a positive spirit.


But a smile is good for us as well. I can only speak from experience, but I'm sure many can relate. A smile puts me in a good mood if I'm able to push through what I'm feeling. I've been told by some that they find my smile attractive (I say 'thank you'). We are all attracted to people who smile, and a smile actually makes you more attractive - and that goes a long way in boosting sex appeal! Scientists also say it helps your immune system, lowers your blood pressure, relieves stress, and all sorts of other good stuff.  Now, if those aren't good enough reasons, smiling actually makes you appear more confident and successful....


So smile some more to look younger, feel younger and live longer - it couldn't hurt - and put a smile on someone else's face today!

No comments:

Post a Comment